EDINBURG, Texas — Once again, it was another solid outing at the Rio Grande Valley Relays for the Texas A&M – Corpus Christi Cross Country teams to get the 2013 season underway, with both the men's and women's team clocking the top four finishes in the meet.
"It was a good outing for their first race and their first week back," Head Coach Shawn Flanagan said. "It was very hot, and that made the times be a little slow, but overall I was very pleased with the efforts of the athletes. I think we started out faster than we did last year."
After a third place finish last season, Philipp Baar teamed up with freshman Ceasar Gonzalez to win the race on the men's side with a combined eight-mile time of 37:31. Following behind them were teammates Jacob Abrego and Paul Hansel who teamed up for a time of 38:08.
Rounding out the top four spots where the duo of Christoph Hintz and Brandon Lacy finishing third, running a 38:29 and Edgar Martinez and Daniel Guerrero in the fourth spot with a time of 39:08. The other Islanders pair of Jason Garcia and Justin Adame did not chompete, as Adame had to sit out with a minor foot injury.
The first place team on the women's side was Vanessa Galindo, who finished in second place at the relays last year, and Ann-Kathrin Ott, as their time of 46:23 was the fastest time on the women's side. Then it was Jasmine Boutte and Saira Gonzalez teaming up to bring home the second place title with a time of 46:23.
The other two Islanders teams that rounded out the top four finishes were the duo of Cecilia Jones and Kim Ward and the pair of Regina Salinas and Lara Huelsebusch who clocked a time of 47:07 and 47:23, respectively. The fifth Islanders team of Alexandria Rossi and Samantha Hardin finished in seventh running a 49:17.
The cross country teams will return to action in two weeks, as they will compete in the Rice Invitational on Friday, Sept. 13, in Houston.
For the latest information, follow Islanders Cross Country on Twitter and Instagram (@IslandersTFXC) and Facebook (Texas A&M Corpus Christi Track & Field/Cross Country).
- Cesar Gonzalez and Philipp Baar, TAMUCC- 37:31
- Jacob Abrego and Paul Hansel, TAMUCC- 38:08
- Christoph Hintz and Brandon Lacy, TAMUCC- 38:29
- Edgar Martinez and Daniel Guerrero, TAMUCC- 39:02
- Serrano and Mireles, UTPA- 39.50
- Ibarra and Laredo, UTPA- 41:10
- Ponce and Flowers, UTPA- 43:18
- Jason Garcia and Justin Adame, TAMUCC DNF
- Ann-Kathrin Ott and Vanessa Galindo, TAMUCC- 46:23
- Saira Gonzalez and Jasmine Boutte, TAMUCC- 46:26
- Cecilia Gonzalez-Jones and Kim Ward, TAMUCC- 47:07
- Regina Salinas and Lara Huelsebusch, TAMUCC- 47:23
- R. Galloso and Antley, UTPA- 48:18
- Garcia and Fabian, UTPA- 48:44
- Alexandria Rossi and Samantha Hardin, TAMUCC- 49:17
- Rodriguez and A. Martinez, UTPA- 51:51
- J. Martinez and E. Galloso, UTPA- 56:38