CORPUS CHRISTI – After several rain delays, the Texas A&M - Corpus Christi women's tennis team won four straight singles matches to clinch their eighth consecutive match of the season, 4-1, over Lamar (5-11, 2-5 SLC) today at the Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center. Celia Rodriguez, Judit Vives, Maider Martin and Sandra Burges all secured singles win for the Islanders, who improve to 14-4 overall and 7-1 in the Southland Conference.
Rodriguez built an early 1-0 lead for the Islanders after she secured her seventh straight singles match, with a 6-1, 6-1 victory over Katya Lapayeva in No. 4 singles. The sophomore is now 14-3 in singles play and 11-0 at No. 4 singles. Vives followed suit with her second win of the season at No. 2 singles and her team-high eighth straight victory. The freshman downed Carolina Masó 6-3, 6-3 to improve to 14-1 overall and 7-1 in Southland play.
Martin garnered her second straight singles match at No. 3 singles with a 6-2, 6-0 victory over Alicia Porte, before Burges clinched the match for the Islanders at No. 5 singles. The senior topped Hanna Elfving in straight sets, 6-1, 6-3, to earn the Islanders their fourth and final point of the day.
Lamar got on the board after Kerry Galhos dropped just her third loss of the season and first at No. 6 singles with a 7-5, 6-1 loss to Anna Spengler. Prior to today, the freshman had won seven straight.
In the final singles match, Stefania Nicolae was battling Dariya Dashutina in the second set when play was stopped. The senior registered a 6-4 first-set victory and was even with Dashutina at 3-3 in the second.
Today's match was sponsored by Utility Trailer Sales Southeast Texas, Inc.
The Islanders will head to Edinburg, Texas, on Wednesday, April 9, to face Texas-Pan American for the second time this season. The match was originally scheduled for February 26, but inclement weather forced the teams to postpone.
For all the latest on Islanders Tennis, like the team on Facebook (IslandersTennis) and follow them on Twitter and Instagram (@IslandersTennis).
Tennis Match Results
Lamar vs. Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
4/6/2014 at Corpus Christi, Texas
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 4, Lamar 1
1. Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) vs. Dariya Dashutina (LU) 6-4, 3-3, unfinished
2. Judit Vives (AMCC) def. Carolina Masó (LU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Maider Martin (AMCC) def. Alicia Porte (LU) 6-2, 6-0
4. Celia Rodriguez (AMCC) def. Katya Lapayeva (LU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Sandra Burges (AMCC) def. Hanna Elfving (LU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Anna Spengler (LU) def. Kerry Galhos (AMCC) 7-5, 6-1
1. Carolina Masó/Alicia Porte (LU) vs. Judit Vives/Sandra Burges (AMCC) no result
2. Dariya Dashutina/Hanna Elfving (LU) vs. Celia Rodriguez/Maider Martin (AMCC) no result
3. Katya Lapayeva/Anna Spengler (LU) vs. Stefania Nicolae/Kerry Galhos (AMCC) no result
Lamar 5-11, 2-5 SLC
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 14-4, 7-1 SLC
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (4,2,3,5,6)