Women’s Tennis Suffers 4-0 Loss to UTSA
SAN ANTONIO – The Texas A&M - Corpus Christi women's tennis team came up short today to UTSA, 4-0, at the UTSA Tennis Center, in their final match before opening Southland Conference play this weekend.
"I give a lot of credit to UTSA," Director of Tennis Steve Moore said. "They have assembled a very good team and played a very tough match at home today. This was a very good character rivalry and they were just a better team today on their home courts. We had a lot of matches that we were turning the corner in, but give them credit they got us today.
"I think it's very important that we learn from this match as conference begins now. Our focus now becomes totally on this conference, which is the strongest it's ever been in my opinion."
The Roadrunners (7-7) opened with a 1-0 lead after claiming two out of the three doubles matches over the Islanders (6-3). In No. 1 doubles, the freshman-senior duo of Stefania Nicolae and Kerry Galhos fell 8-4 to Jacobea Junger and Miriam Canudas. UTSA then squeezed out an 8-6 victory in No. 3 doubles to seal the point. Celia Rodriguez and Maider Martin lost a close match to Lina Hallgren and Isabelle Jonsson. In the No. 2 slot, senior Sandra Burges and freshman Judit Vives were battling Daniela Garcia-Diaz and Alena Shichkova 7-6 when the point was clinched.
UTSA won three straight in singles play to win the match. In No. 2 singles, Martin fell in straight sets to Canudas, 6-1, 6-1, before Rodriguez dropped just her second singles match of the year in the No. 3 spot, 6-1, 6-2, to Jonsson. The Roadrunners garnered their fourth point of the day after Nicolae Karaklis topped Burges, 6-2, 6-4, in No. 4 singles.
In the other three singles matches, Nicolae (No. 1) and Galhos (No. 6) forced their opponents to a third set while Vives (No. 5) was taking on Hallgren in a second-set tiebreaker.
The Islanders will open Southland Conference play this weekend when they travel to Nacogdoches, Texas, to take on Stephen F. Austin on Saturday, March 15 at 1 p.m. The team will continue conference play at Northwestern State on Sunday, March 16, at 1 p.m.
For all the latest on Islanders Tennis, like the team on Facebook (IslandersTennis) and follow them on Twitter and Instagram (@IslandersTennis).
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi vs. UTSA
3/12/2014 at San Antonio, Texas
UTSA 4, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 0
1. Jacobea Junger (UTSA) vs. Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) 6-2, 3-6, 2-1, unfinished
2. Miriam Canudas (UTSA) def. Maider Martin (AMCC) 6-1, 6-1
3. Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Celia Rodriguez (AMCC) 6-1, 6-2
4. Nicole Karaklis (UTSA) def. Sandra Burges (AMCC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Lina Hallgren (UTSA) vs. Judit Vives (AMCC) 1-6, 6-6 (3-4), unfinished
6. Irene Gonzalez (UTSA) vs. Kerry Galhos (AMCC) 6-4, 2-6, 1-0, unfinished
1. Jacobea Junger/Miriam Canudas (UTSA) def. Stefania Nicolae/Kerry Galhos (AMCC) 8-4
2. Daniela Garcia-Diaz/Alena Shichkova (UTSA) vs. Sandra Burges/Judit Vives (AMCC) 7-6, unfinished
3. Lina Hallgren/Isabelle Jonsson (UTSA) def. Celia Rodriguez/Maider Martin (AMCC) 8-6
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,3,4)