SAN ANTONIO – The Texas A&M – Corpus Christi Women's Tennis team earned a road win over Division II power St. Mary's (TX) on Wednesday afternoon, taking a 6-1 final to improve 7-0 on the season. The Rattlers are currently ranked No. 48 in the DII national rankings.
The Islanders swept the doubles point to start fast and then went on to take six of the seven singes matches en route to a 6-1 victory.
Mia Matuszak and Maider Martin picked up an 8-2 win at No. 3 doubles to get the Islanders on the board, and Doris Kuselj and Stefania Nicolae clinched the point with an 8-4 final at No. 1. Sandra Burges and Chelsea Horan finished things off in the doubles portion with an 8-6 win at No. 2.
Burges kept her run of straight-set victories going with a quick 6-2, 6-1 win at the No. 2 singles position, while Nicolae also kept her unbeaten start to 2013 on track with a 6-2, 6-4 finish at No. 3.
Celia Rodriguez Delgado won 6-3, 6-3 at No. 4 singles, Leanne Mascall earned a 6-4, 6-2 decision and Matuszak returned to singles action with a solid 6-3, 6-4 final at No. 6 singles. Martin saw her unbeaten start come to an end with a 6-2, 7-6 (7-3) loss at No. 1 to Mariana Rong, the No. 28-ranked player in DII tennis.
Next up for the Islanders will be a tough match against former Southland Conference rival UTSA. The Roadrunners are off to a 4-2 start in their only season of WAC membership. Match time is set for 2 p.m. on Friday at the Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center.
For all the latest on Islanders Tennis, like the team on Facebook (IslandersTennis), follow them on Twitter (@IslandersTennis) and visit www.GoIslanders.com.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi vs St. Mary's (TX)
02/21/13 at San Antonio, Texas
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 6, St. Mary's (TX) 1
1. Mariana Rong (STM) def. Maider Martin (AMCC) 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
2. Sandra Burges (AMCC) def. Felicity Delgado (STM) 6-2, 6-1
3. Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) def. Valentine Lambrechts (STM) 6-2, 6-4
4. Celia Rodriguez (AMCC) def. Christina Lopez (STM) 6-3, 6-3
5. Leanne Mascall (AMCC) def. Joanie Bryant (STM) 6-4, 6-2
6. Mia Matuszak (AMCC) def. Ariana Saldana (STM) 6-3, 6-4
1. Doris Kuselj/Stefania Nicolae (AMCC) def. Mariana Rong/Ariana Saldana (STM) 8-4
2. Sandra Burges/Chelsea Horan (AMCC) def. Felicity Delgado/Christina Lopez (STM) 8-6
3. Mia Matuszak/Maider Martin (AMCC) def. Valentine Lambrechts/Joanie Bryant (STM) 8-2
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 7-0
St. Mary's (TX) 3-2