Nacogdoches - The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's tennis team lost a 4-3 thriller against Stephen F. Austin on the road Saturday to absorb their first Southland Conference loss.
The Islanders are now 6-4 overall on the season and 2-1 in Southland Conference matches. SFA improves to 5-1 on the year and 1-0 in the Southland.
In doubles action, the Islanders took the point by winning 2-of-3 matches to take an early 1-0 dual match lead. Mirna Cicak and Megan Harless won at No. 1 doubles by an 8-6 final over Roxana Enica and Alina Shazko. No. 2 doubles saw Bianca Discordia and LeAnne Mascall drop an 8-6 decision to Paola Muntuenga and Alice Pacaut. The Islander duo of Nadia Filmalter and Doris Kuselj won 8-5 over Jamie Williams and Meaghan Ocanas at the No.3 position to take the point.
In singles action, SFA won four matches to pick up a come-from-behind victory. Cicak won at the No. 1 spot by a 6-1, 5-7, 6-1 final over Enica while Doris Kuselj coasted at No. 2 singles by a 6-4, 6-2 final over Shazkho. Those were the only two matches the Islanders would win at singles however, as the Ladyjacks won at the No. 3 - No. 6 spots to claim the win.
Muntuenga beat Discordia at the No. 3 spot 4-6, 7-6, 6-1 while Adrienne Kovacs lost a 6-4, 6-4 match to Tatiana Smolnikova at the No. 4 spot. No. 6 singles saw Harless stumble against Sanjana Kapur to lose a 6-3, 7-6 match. The entire dual match came down to No. 5 singles with Mascall facing Pacaut. In the third set, Mascall held a 5-4 lead before falling 7-5 to take the loss by a 6-3, 2-6, 7-5 final.
The Islanders continue Southland play tomorrow when they travel to Huntsville to take on the Bearkats of Sam Houston State.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi vs Stephen F. Austin
Feb 27, 2010 at Nacogdoches, Texas
Stephen F. Austin 4, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 3
1. Mirna Cicak (AMCC) def. Roxana Enica (SFA) 6-1, 7-5, 1-6
2. Doris Kuselj (AMCC) def. Alina Shazkho (SFA) 6-4, 6-2
3. Paola Muntuenga (SFA) def. Bianca Discordia (AMCC) 4-6, 7-6, 6-1
4. Tatiana Smolnikova (SFA) def. Adrienne Kovacs (AMCC) 6-4, 6-4
5. Alice Pacaut (SFA) def. LeAnne Mascall (AMCC) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
6. Sanjana Kapur (SFA) def. Megan Harless (AMCC) 6-3, 7-6
1. Mirna Cicak/Megan Harless (AMCC) def. Roxana Enica/Alina Shazkho (SFA) 8-6
2. Paola Muntuenga/Alice Pacaut (SFA) def. Bianca Discordia/LeAnne Mascall (AMCC) 8-6
3. Nadia Filmalter/Doris Kuselj (AMCC) def. Jamie Williams/Meaghan Ocanas (SFA) 8-5
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 6-4, 2-1 SLC
Stephen F. Austin 5-1, 1-0 SLC