CORPUS CHRISTI – The Texas A&M - Corpus Christi men's tennis team bounced back in the second round of play today in the 48th Annual H-E-B Tournament of Champions to win 4-0 over DePaul University. The Islanders (10-6) won all four singles match in straight sets to secure the match.
"These guys responded very well," Director of Tennis Steve Moore said. "This morning's match was a tough defeat. We challenged them to stay in the present and compete with extra tenacity and they did a very good job of controlling the things they could control against a tough DePaul team. We have to keep learning and getting better. We have very high standards for this group of what is the definition of success. This group has good character and I thought they showed that today."
Philip Kuehnen put the Islanders on the board early with a 6-2, 6-2 straight-set victory over Adam Reinhart in No. 6 singles. Sophomore Javier Pujol followed suit with a sweeping 6-0 victory over Joshua Schramm in the first set. In the second set Pujol jumped out to a 4-1 lead before capturing the 6-2 second-set win in No. 4 singles. The Islanders kept things rolling with their third point of the day in the No. 2 slot after Ricardo Mayagoitia downed David Vieyra 6-4, 6-4 to improve to 7-4 on the year. With the Islanders in front 3-0, freshman Paul Cook clinched the match in No. 5 singles, 6-4, 6-1, over Kyle Johnson.
The Islanders will return to action in the 48th Annual H-E-B Tournament of Champions Saturday, March 1, at 9 a.m. when they take on Western Michigan (8-6) at the Thomas J. Henry Tennis Center. The Broncos fell to SMU, 4-1, today and edged UTSA, 4-3.
For all the latest on Islanders Tennis, like the team on Facebook (IslandersTennis) and follow them on Twitter and Instagram (@IslandersTennis).
Tennis Match Results
DePaul vs. Texas A&M - Corpus Christi
2/28/2014 at Corpus Christi, Texas
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 4, DePaul 0
1. Peter Nagy (AMCC) vs. Filip Dzanko (DEPAUL) 7-6 (7-2), 3-2, unfinished
2. Ricardo Mayagoitia (AMCC) def. David Vieyra (DEPAUL) 6-4, 6-3
3. Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) vs. Sten Leusink (DEPAUL) 5-7, 1-4, unfinished
4. Javier Pujol (AMCC) def. Joshua Schramm (DEPAUL) 6-0, 6-2
5. Paul Cook (AMCC) def. Kyle Johnson (DEPAUL) 6-4, 6-1
6. Philip Kuehnen (AMCC) def. Adam Reinhart (DEPAUL) 6-2, 6-2
1. Filip Dzanko/David Vieyra (DEPAUL) vs. Peter Nagy/Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) no result
2. Sten Leusink/Kyle Johnson (DEPAUL) vs. Paul Cook/Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) no result
3. Joshua Schramm/Jan-Willem Feilzer (DEPAUL) vs. Ricardo Mayagoitia/Philip Kuehnen (AMCC) no result
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 10-6
Order of finish: Singles (6,4,2,5)
48th Annual HEB Tournament of Champions