SAN ANTONIO – The Texas A&M – Corpus Christi Men's Tennis team opened the defense of its fifth-straight Southland Conference Title with a convincing 5-1 win over New Orleans on a neutral court
The Islanders (10-7, 1-0 Southland) earned the win with the two teams playing only singles, taking the 5-1 decision over UNO (8-7, 4-1 Southland) to keep the Privateers from clinching the Southland Conference Championship.
In singles action, Peter Nagy and Gergo Weidinger staked their team to an early lead, with Nagy sweeping the first set 6-0 before his opponent retired while down 1-0 in the second for a 6-0, 1-0, ret. finish to No. 1 singles.
Weidinger was not far behind, as the senior quickly made it 2-0 by earning a 6-1, 6-0 final at No. 2 singles.
"I felt like we played a very focused and tough match today," said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "UNO has a very talented team, so we needed to be extremely focused. I thought that Peter and Gergo really helped set the tone by starting off with great energy and focus."
Matt Westmoreland picked up a 3-6, 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 3, and Ricardo Mayagoitia helped the Islanders cause with a 6-0, 5-7, 6-2 win at the No. 4 position. Guillaume Rauseo rounded out the scoring on the Islanders side, winning 6-4, 6-1 at No. 6 singles to get the Islanders to five points.
Javier Pujol lost a tough 7-6, 6-4 final at No. 5 singles to make it a 5-1 final.
"This was our first conference match, we know how important that is," said Moore. "I thought the guys did a good job of controlling the things they can control and playing each point separately and with intensity. We have a lot to improve on and a lot of hard work to do, but I'm proud of the way they competed today."
Next up for the Islanders will be an Easter Sunday match against Oral Roberts. The two teams will play at the Seay Tennis Center in Dallas in the second Southland match of the season for Texas A&M – Corpus Christi.
For all the latest on Islanders Tennis, like the team on Facebook (IslandersTennis), follow them on Twitter (@IslandersTennis) and visit www.GoIslanders.com.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi vs New Orleans
03/27/13 at San Antonio, Texas
#59 Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 5, New Orleans 1
1. #96 Peter Nagy (AMCC) def. Ricardo Campos (UNO) 6-0, 1-0, retired
2. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) def. Rui Silva (UNO) 6-1, 6-0
3. Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) def. Guillermo Aylon (UNO) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
4. Ricardo Mayagoitia (AMCC) def. Abdelrahman Zaki (UNO) 6-0, 5-7, 6-2
5. Hossam Meligy (UNO) def. Javier Pujol (AMCC) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
6. Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) def. David Malmgren (UNO) 6-4, 6-1
1. Ricardo Campos/Hossam Meligy (UNO) vs. Peter Nagy/Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) unfinished
2. Abdelrahman Zaki/Rui Silva (UNO) vs. Ricardo Mayagoitia/Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) unfinished
3. David Malmgren/Guillermo Aylon (UNO) vs. Guillaume Rauseo/Andrew Maingot (AMCC) unfinished
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 10-7, 1-0 Southland; National ranking #59
New Orleans 8-7, 4-1 Southland