HOUSTON – The Texas A&M – Corpus Christi Men's Tennis team bounced back from its first loss in nearly a month on Saturday morning, taking a 4-0 final over Radford on day two of the Rice Team Invitational at Jake Hess Tennis Stadium.
The Islanders (8-6) started the match with a win in doubles and never looked back, not losing a point during day two of the invitational. Radford (3-7) battled host team Rice to a 4-2 loss on the opening day of the tourney.
Peter Nagy and Gergo Weidinger came out blazing in doubles action, winning 8-2 at No. 1 to give their team an advantage in the battle for the point. Andrew Maingot and Matt Westmoreland earned a very tough match and clinched the doubles for the Islanders with a 9-8 (-) win at No. 3 for the early 1-0 lead. Guillaume Rauseo and Odon Barta were deadlocked into a 7-7 match at No. 2 when play was stopped.
Nagy made it a 2-0 lead for Texas A&M – Corpus Christi when he picked up a 6-4, 6-2 final at No. 1 singles. Rauseo put his team on the brink of clinching, picking up an identical 6-4, 6-2 final at the No. 6 match to make it 3-1.
Westmoreland closed out the contest at No. 2 singles, winning a tough 7-5, 6-2 final to complete the 4-0 win.
Next up for the team is a Sunday finale against host Rice at 12 p.m. on the courts at the Hess Tennis Stadium. Live stats will be available through www.RiceOwls.com.
For all the latest on Islanders Tennis, like the team on Facebook (IslandersTennis), follow them on Twitter (@IslandersTennis) and visit www.GoIslanders.com.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi vs Radford
03/16/13 at Houston, Texas
#53 Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 4, Radford 0
1. #103 Peter Nagy (AMCC) def. SAYER, Nicholas (RADM) 6-4, 6-2
2. DEHAEN, Thomas (RADM) vs. Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
3. Matt Westmoreland (AMCC) def. MILLS, Joe (RADM) 7-5, 6-2
4. MEULEMANS, Stijn (RADM) vs. Ricardo Mayagoitia (AMCC) 7-6 (7-4), 2-2, unfinished
5. O'KEEFE, Patrick (RADM) vs. Javier Pujol (AMCC) 3-6, 1-6, unfinished
6. Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) def. CARTER, Randall (RADM) 6-4, 6-2
1. Peter Nagy/Gergo Weidinger (AMCC) def. DEHAEN, Thomas/MEULEMANS, Stijn (RADM) 8-2
2. SAYER, Nicholas/MILLS, Joe (RADM) vs. Odon Barta/Guillaume Rauseo (AMCC) 7-7, unfinished
3. Matt Westmoreland/Andrew Maingot (AMCC) def. O'KEEFE, Patrick/CARTER, Randall (RADM) 9-8
Texas A&M - Corpus Christi 8-6; National ranking #53
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,6,3)