ISLANDERS FALL TO NO. 38 TCU AT ITA INDOOR NATIONALS
Waco - The No. 66 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi men's tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to No. 38 TCU on the first day of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association's Indoor Nationals regional on the campus of Baylor. The tournament pits the top 64 teams in the nation in 16 four-team regionals for the right to go to the finals on the campus of Ohio State.
The loss brings the Islanders record to 1-3 on the season.
In doubles action, the No. 3 team of Andrew Maingot and Nathan Robinson fell by an 8-3 final to Zach Nichols and Paul Chappell. In the No. 2 position, Duje Janjic and Robert Raguz lost 8-6 to Soren Goritzka and Slah Mbarek to clinch the point for TCU. The No. 1 doubles match was unfinished.
"I thought that we fought very hard, we were up a set in three of the matches and the doubles were very close," said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "Give credit to TCU, they are a very good team but I like the way this young team is fighting.
In the singles portion of the match, the Islanders led in three matches when it was clinched. Maingot fell 6-0, 6-0 to Christopher Price at No. 6 singles to go down 2-0. No. 5 singles had Robinson dropping a 6-1, 6-2 final to Nichols. The No. 3 position was the final match to finish as Alex Pavlov lost to Mbarek 6-1, 6-3 in the final completed flight. Dmitry Novikov at No. 1, James Langford at No. 2 and Raguz at No. 4 had each won the first set of their matches.
"I thought Dmitry Novikov and Robert Raguz played extremely well today, as did James Langford," said Moore. "All three of those guys were winning their matches when it was stopped."
The Islanders will now play Iowa in the 10 AM consolation match on Monday morning at the Baylor Tennis Center.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi vs TCU
01/31/10 at Waco, Texas #38 TCU 4, #66 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 0
1. Cirstea, Marius-Adri (TCUM) vs. Dmitry Novikov (AMCC) unfinished
2. Brighiu, Emanuel (TCUM) vs. James Langford (AMCC) unfinished
3. Mbarek, Slah (TCUM) def. Alex Pavlov (AMCC) 6-1, 6-3
4. Goritzka, Sören (TCUM) vs. Robert Raguz (AMCC) unfinished
5. Nichols, Zach (TCUM) def. Nathan Robinson (AMCC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Price, Christopher (TCUM) def. Andrew Maingot (AMCC) 6-0, 6-0
1. Brighiu, Emanuel/Price, Christopher (TCUM) vs. Dmitry Novikov/James Langford (AMCC) unfinished
2. Goritzka, Sören/Mbarek, Slah (TCUM) def. Duje Janjic/Robert Raguz (AMCC) 8-6
3. Nichols, Zach/Chappell, Paul (TCUM) def. Andrew Maingot/Nathan Robinson (AMCC) 8-3
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 1-3; National ranking #66
TCU 3-0; National ranking #38
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,5,3)