ISLANDER MEN DOMINATE IN REACHING CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL
The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi men's tennis team dominated the Southeastern Louisiana Lions by a score of 4-0 at the HEB Tennis Center on day two of the 2009 Southland Conference Tennis Tournament.
The Islanders improve to 13-8 on the season after finishing the regular season at 12-8 overall and 6-0 in SLC play. The Lions finished the year at 12-10.
"I thought they were very, very focused," said Director of Tennis Steve Moore. "They have a goal and are very determined to reach that goal."
The Islanders dominated from the start, winning the doubles point with a 2-0 match score. The Islanders started out by winning No. 3 doubles, with James Langford and David Pace downing Damien Cordoba and Julien Roussel by an 8-2 final. No. 1 doubles finished next to clinch the point for TAMUCC. Mikhail Pavlov and Dmitry Novikov defeated Benjamin Enke and Stepan Siska with an 8-3 score. The No. 2 doubles match went unfinished as play was stopped once the point was clinched.
In singles action, Pavlov was the first to finish up, winning the No. 2 singles match against Roussel with a quick 6-1, 6-3 result. Jaume Farras followed soon after, winning his No. 5 singles match against Guillame Capovin with a 6-3, 6-2 score. Langford finished off the match in short order, clinching the win at No. 6 singles, taking out Jan Bezdecka in 6-2, 6-4 fashion to move the Islanders into the championship round.
"This is a very tough team that they just beat," said Moore. "And we are now facing the most dangerous team in the conference tomorrow."
The Islanders now move on to face Nicholls State in the championship round of the tournament. The Islanders faced the Colonels in the last match of the regular season, beating them 7-0 just five days ago on April 20.
"Nicholls is the most dangerous team in the conference, they proved that against UTSA and UTPA," said Moore. "We must be extremely focused and ready to play our best tennis."
All fans are encouraged to come out and support the Islanders as they are one win away from back-to-back SLC Tournament triumphs. The Islanders defeated UTSA 4-0 in the tournament final last season and look to clinch a berth to the NCAA Championships with a win on their home courts. The championship match starts at 12:00 PM out at the HEB Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Southeastern Louisiana vs Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
Apr 25, 2009 at Corpus Christi, Texas
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4, Southeastern Louisiana 0
1. Dmitry Novikov (AMCC-M) vs. Stepan Siska (SLU-M) 6-2, 6-5, unfinished
2. Mikhail Pavlov (AMCC-M) def. Julien Roussel (SLU-M) 6-1, 6-3
3. Laurent Montoisy (AMCC-M) vs. Benjamin Enke (SLU-M) 6-4, 5-2, unfinished
4. Jose Zunino (AMCC-M) vs. Damien Cordoba (SLU-M) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0, unfinished
5. Jaume Farras (AMCC-M) def. Guillaume Capovin (SLU-M) 6-3, 6-2
6. James Langford (AMCC-M) def. Jan Bezdecka (SLU-M) 6-2, 6-4
1. Mikhail Pavlov/Dmitry Novikov (AMCC-M) def. Benjamin Enke/Stepan Siska (SLU-M) 8-3
2. Laurent Montoisy/Jose Zunino (AMCC-M) vs. Jan Bezdecka/Guillaume Capovin (SLU-M) 4-5, unfinished
3. James Langford/David Pace (AMCC-M) def. Damien Cordoba/Julien Roussel (SLU-M) 8-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,5,6)