ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. After suffering a hard-fought 4-3 loss to Radford on Friday in its first match of the spring, the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi men's team rebounded with a 4-3 win over No. 44-ranked Indiana on Saturday.
With the win, the Islanders, who close out a tough opening weekend on Sunday against No. 42 New Mexico, even their record at 1-1 on the young season. All three opponents for the Islanders this weekend are nationally ranked by the ITA and advanced to the NCAA Championship a season ago.
"We played with twice as much energy and tenacity in doubles today than yesterday and that set the tone," said Islander director of Tennis Steve Moore, whose team beat Indiana for the first time. "Not surprisingly, the results reflected the effort we played with."
The Islanders opened the day winning the doubles point with 8-4 wins at No. 1 and No. 3. The tandem of Mikhail Pavlov and Dmitry Novikov won the battle of No. 1s over Santiago Gruter and Lachlan Ferguson, while Jose Zunio and Laurent Montoisy downed Will Kendall and Stephen Vogl. The Islanders lone loss in doubles was a tough 9-8 battle with James Langford and David Pace falling to Gary Kubi and Jeremy Langer.
In singles, A&M-Corpus Christi clinched the match with straight-set wins at No. 1, No. 3 and No. 5 singles. Pavlov defeated his nemesis Ferguson at No. 1, 6-4, 6-4. After winning the first set 7-5, Laurent Montoisy knocked Langer 6-3 in the second set at No. 3, while Jaume Farras defeated Kendall 6-3 and 6-2 at No.5 singles.
" I knew coming into the weekend that all three matches were against tough teams that are evenly matched," said Moore. "I knew each match was going to be battle with the winner be the team who played smarter and with the most tenacity. We played with a lot of heart today."
No. 68 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4, No. 44 Indiana 3
1. PAVLOV, Mikhail (TAMCC) defeated FERGUSON, Lachlan (IU) 6-4, 6-4
2. GRUTER, Santiago (IU) def. NOVIKOV, Dmitry (TAMCC) 6-3, 7-5
3. MONTOISY, Laurent (TAMCC) def. LANGER, Jeremy (IU) 7-5, 6-3
4. KUBI, Gary (IU) def, ZUNINO, Jose (TAMCC) 4-6, 7-6, 7-6
5. FARRAS, Jaume (TAMCC) def. KENDALL, Will (IU) 6-3, 6-2
6. SCHROEDER, Jonathan (IU) def. LANGFORD, James (TAMCC) 7-5, 6-4
1. PAVLOV, Mikhail/NOVIKOV, Dmitry (TAMCC) def. GRUTER, Santiago/LANGER, Jeremy (IU) 8-4
2. FERGUSON, Lachlan (IU) def. LANGFORD, James/PACE, David (TAMCC), 9-8
3. MONTOISY, Laurent/ZUNINO, Jose (TAMCC) def. KENDALL, Will/VOGL, Stephen 8-4