Bond's Late Triple Gives Islanders 62-59 Victory

Bond's Late Triple Gives Islanders 62-59 Victory

drained a three-pointer from the top of the key with 29 seconds left to break a 57-57 tie and lift the Texas A&M - Corpus Christi men's basketball team to a 62-59 win over Southeastern Louisiana (7-7, 1-1 Southland) on Saturday afternoon. Demond Watt had 13 points and 10 rebounds for his seventh double-double of the season for the Islanders (6-11, 1-2).

After Bond's three, Southeastern got a layup from David Ndoumba with 10 seconds to play, but Hollis Hill, who played just 1.9 seconds in the game, hit both of his free throws with 8.1 seconds to play to make it 62-59. Brandon Fortenberry's desperation three from the left elbow fell short at the buzzer to give the Islanders their first conference win of the season.

Justin Reynolds had 11 rebounds and nine points, while Chris Mast added 10 points for his second straight game in double figures. Trent Hutchin led all scorers with 18 points in the loss, while Ndoumba added 15 points and eight boards.

The Islanders jumped out to a 4-0 early lead with Bond and Garland Judkins putting the home team on top. Southeastern then stormed back, taking a 5-4 lead, but Chris Mast and Judkins buried three pointers making the home team's advantage three at 10-7.

After several minutes of back-and-forth action, Justin Reynolds' jumper from the elbow put Texas A&M - Corpus Christi up 22-16. Antonio Topps continued the hot shooting, hitting a three in the corner to give the Islanders a 25-16 advantage, their largest lead of the half. Trent Hutchin helped the Lions claw back into the game with a long three pointer making the score 30-26 Islanders at half.

SLU came out of the half on a 5-0 run to take a one point lead before Watt converted a three-point play, giving the Islanders back the edge at 33-31. For the next four possessions the teams traded the lead or were tied. Terence Jones broke the deadlock at the 10:22 mark with a three, following a block on defense by Watt. After a three by the Lions tied the game back up, Watt pushed the home team back out in front by scoring the next five points for a 51-46 lead.

Chris Mast gave the Islanders their biggest of the second half, hitting two free throws, making the score 55-48 with 4:44 left. Southeastern, though, stepped up the defense to post a 9-2 run to tie the game at 57 with just over a minute left, with Fortenberry hitting the tying three pointer to set up Bond's heroics.

The Islanders outrebounded the Lions 31-23 in the game and shot 53.5 percent from the floor for the contest. The Lions went 8-for-16 from behind the three-point line.

Next up for the Islanders will be a road context Wednesday night at UT-Arlington at 7 p.m.